Now that you have met my entire family, I'm going to take you on some of our experiences. You know, every year at school they make you sell something? Whether it be candy bars, shirts, whatever. Well, the NP child had to sell tumblers. You know, the plastic cups with the lids? And they were expensive, let me tell you! Well, the kids that sold them got rewards. I believe there was supposed to be one level of reward if you sold 3; another level if you sold 6; etc. Well, the NP child was pretty diligent about it, and sold 3 of the overpriced cups. We were driving to school on the day she was supposed to turn in her order form and money, and I asked her "are you excited for your reward?" to which she replied: "Oh, it's not really a reward anymore, someone's mom called the school and complained that it's not fair to all of the kids if they have to sell the cups to get the reward, so now everyone gets it." Okey-dokie.... I stewed about this the whole way through dropping her off at school and dropping THAT child at preschool.
Everyone these days is complaining that kids, teens, young adults seem to think that the world owes them something, and that they have no work ethic. YA THINK?! What example is being set for them if parents are teaching them that they don't have to do anything to get the same rewards as someone who worked for it? This is a really sore subject for me, because the NP child is somewhat shy, and it's hard for her to go out and ask people to buy things. To all the parents who are complaining about the "irrational sense of entitlement" that your children seem to have, maybe you should look back and ask yourself "did I encourage it?"
I know that not everyone grew up with parents like mine. My dad is about to turn 63 and works just as hard or harder than he did when he was 43. My mom works 2 and 3 jobs sometimes. I worked at a job I loved when the NP child and the GAMER were young. I had to change careers(still in the same field, just a different position) when THAT child was born, because I got carpal tunnel syndrome. We moved several states away when THAT child was 2, and I haven't worked at a job since. I almost wish I did, I think I do more staying at home! The point I'm trying to make, and the point I made yesterday, is that everything starts in the home. Your kids observe your behavior and try to model after you. If you constantly defend your child and step in so that they get rewarded for not doing the work, they aren't going to do the work.
When I was a kid, in the '80's and '90's, not everyone made the team just because they tried out. We didn't get awards just for participating. We worked for everything, we got disappointed, and that was alright, because life is full of disappointments! We were more realistic back then, and no one seemed to have the idea that everyone has to play, or the ones that don't have the ability should play. We didn't really get second and third chances at our schoolwork. If it wasn't done, it wasn't done. If I got a bad grade, I got the blame. Not my teacher.
When I look around at what is going on in this world, it makes me sad. In no way would police officers been threatened and targeted the way they are now. The blatant disrespect of Beyonce's super bowl performance would never have been tolerated. And why are we allowing this? Because they feel "entitled" to their freedom of speech, freedom of assembly. While these are valid points, when they put the safety of other Americans into question, we need to question their motives. Yes, these people are entitled to certain freedoms as American citizens, but we don't need to tolerate the outcomes that those freedoms stir up. I wonder what God thinks as he looks down on his creation right now. We need to humble ourselves before Him and repent, before it's too late.
No comments:
Post a Comment