Wednesday, February 24, 2016

THAT child and the NP child

       I recently wrote about being the mom to THAT child. Well, as it turns out; I'm also the mom to his polar opposite, the NP(near perfect) child. This one does as she's told, the teachers love her, she makes friends easily....Does her chores without complaint, works hard in school...And I love her just as much as I love THAT child. My NP child excels at everything she does. She's a stand out athlete, has never gotten below a B in school; and basically loves everyone and everything. She's helpful and kind, and is easy to get along with. She is the child that makes you want to have another child. Even as a baby she was well-behaved and loving. 
          Having THAT child and the NP child actually works out very well, they compliment each other in several ways. They usually get along and the NP child doesn't mind watching THAT child.  Possibly it is because the NP child started out similar to THAT child. She didn't like going to preschool, and abhorred change. She was, in fact, the original THAT child. This is what gives me hope for the future with THAT child. I don't even care if he gets to be as near perfect as the NP child, I just hope that we see some progress that makes a difference for him. 
           The NP child is a great role model for THAT child. She's his calm in the face of chaos. His feelings are easily hurt, that's his nature. How we handle his meltdown often sets the tone for the day. He is a very intelligent child; and for some reason the NP child knows just how to approach the situation. She is organized and calm. Our lives are very structured, that's how I like to have them. Idle hands are the Devil's playground, as they say. Some think that over-structuring a child's environment can be bad, but my children crave that structure. They know what happens at any given time of the day. They know what time we wake up in the morning, what time we leave for school, what time we are picked up from school, what time we eat supper, what time we take baths/showers, and what time we go to bed. There is only one day that we change our routine, and that's Wednesday; when we go to bible study. 
           My children's relationship with God is also very important to me, and even to THAT child. By Tuesday he's asking when we are going to church again. God provides the oasis that brings us peace in this chaotic life. The NP child and THAT child also have several friends and role models at church. THAT child can be extremely introverted at times, and the kids and people he knows at church seem to draw him out at times. I truly hope that, in the next year we see a major breakthrough in THAT child's behavior and personality. I wish that everyone could see him as I do, in his relaxed environment, talking my ear off about something he saw that day. But instead most of them see a little boy who refuses to talk to anyone and hides behind mama.  Someday, I have faith that THAT child will also become an NP child!

No comments:

Post a Comment